I was driving home one evening and heard on the radio that the UAE holds the world record for the most world records ... no, I'm not joking. Well, I went out to the Guinness Book of World Records website and while I couldn't find a record for the number of records, I did find quite a few world records held by UAE. Here are a few, for the whole list, visit their website, which I've linked below.
- Largest Yowla Dance - Yowla is an Arabian dance that is done by the men using rifles (I know, it sounds bad, but it's really not). They kind of twirl the rifles like a baton, throw them up in the air and dance around in a circle. The largest Yowla dance was achieved by 285 participants from 3 different tribes within Fujairah, which is one of the 7 Emirates that make up the UAE. 26 November 2010.
- Longest Driverless Metro Line - This one's in Dubai as you may have guessed. It's the red line and the record was logged in May of this year.
- Most Expensively Dressed Christmas Tree - you all remember this one, right? Valued at more than $11 Million, it was erected and displayed by the Emirates Palance hotel in Abu Dhabi from 16-29 December 2010.
- Most Sand moved in 30 seconds with a teaspoon - I thought this one was funny. It was achieved in Dubai at the World Records Pavillion in Global Village in January of 2009. It sure would be an easy one to practice for around here!
- Most expensive shot of cognac - now this one is quite interesting for a Muslim no-alcohol-allowed country! It was another one held at the Emirates Palace Hotel. In August, 2008 they made the "Hardy Perfection" brand available for $2,226/ shot.
Well, you certainly get the picture. There are a lot more on the website, but that gives you a taste and while I'm not sure UAE has the MOST world records, they've certainly made a place for themselves in the record books.