Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Lebanon - Khalil Gibran

Saturday morning of our visit dawned a bit overcast and rainy, but still quite pleasant. Our plan was to travel north to the mountains and ski resort area and on the way visit the museum and home of Khalil Gibran. Gibran is best known as the author of The Prophet, a collection of spiritual poems. I had never heard of Gibran or The Prophet, but I'll bet many of you have as it's been translated into more than 20 languages and the American versions have sold more than 9 million copies. And I've been told, I'll recognize some of the passages as they are very popular readings at weddings.

We travelled North and up the mountain and watched the temp gauge in the car go from 68 when we started to 41 near the top! Gibran's museum was a bit more than halfway to the ski area and a gorgeous drive. Here are just a few of the photos I took on the way up.




The museum is located in Gibran's home and has it's own set of amazing views. The museum is filled with information about his life and then many of his paintings, so it was a bit like an art gallery. I couldn't take any photos in the museum itself, but here are a few of the grounds and the views. I think the overcast skies and dreary weather actually added to the feel of the place - very mysterious and spiritual.





No comments:

Post a Comment